My hope for you

Poetry speaks to our minds and hearts and is meant to communicate more than the sum of its words. It is an apt expression of our walk with the Lord. I encourage you to forward this link to those you love. I pray this poetry leads you into reflection and prayer but I also want to start a conversation. You, too, have something to share with others-not only in person, but also here. Your experience is yours to give away to build up and learn from others in the Body of Christ. Share the word that you hear, the experiences you have lived. We are all part of the New Evangelization.If you also want to contact me by email, feel free: genefirn@yahoo.com

Table of contents: October 7, 2012

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Outsider

I walked away so...
I had no say...
I can't believe I did that...
she was my daughter
and I had no say
whether she lived or died -
how insane is that? -
it sucks...I was goin' nuts...
a lot of other guys wouldn't 
give a damn but...I did though
I wasn't in a place where I
could do anything about it...
her Mom didn't want me in her life
so I wasn't 'free' to save my baby...
I had no choice...so
I took the 'easy' way out- but
in reality it wasn't that easy...
I wanted to take care of my baby but
I felt like I had to back off....
I loved her Mom- especially after
I knew we were going to
have a baby girl...
it drove me crazy that
I could lose my baby...
I wanted to be a Dad -
I didn’t want anything
to happen to her...
I felt so responsible...
we didn’t expect to get pregnant...
we thought we were being careful
but things happen...
even in the best of circumstances
then when we found out...
everything fell apart
what I thought was a good relationship
turned out to be more one-sided and
finally the truth came out-
she was leaving me and
with her went my daughter...
her Mom was so confused...
depressed...
it was agony watching her
close the door
without even saying goodbye...
phone calls went unanswered
knocks echoed in an empty hallway...
what if she didn’t want my baby girl?  
what if she felt she couldn’t handle it all?
what if she couldn’t bear to
give our baby up for adoption?
my daughter would die and
me with her -
even though everyone says
it’s the mother’s choice 
she was my baby too but
her Mom didn’t care about my feelings...
I felt so powerless 
I tried praying for the first time
in a long time...
I begged the Lord to save her - to
help her Mom to
know I’d be there for her -
if He cared at all for my daughter
He'd save her...
if He was who He said He was 
He wouldn't let her die -
I begged... but...
silence was my answer -
only silence -
nothing more...
then... one day... I got the call...
it was over -
the deed was done -
my baby was gone...
I was numb...
I couldn’t say anything so 
I just hung up...
why Lord?
why did you let this happen?
if you are so Powerful... so Loving...
supposed to be the Lord of all 
why didn't you stop her from
killing our baby?
why didn’t you do anything?
my girl was helpless
just a tiny baby and
you let her be killed...
what is wrong with you?
if only I could have talked with her Mom...
if I could have just showed her
how much I loved them both...
I didn’t understand...   
I was really pissed...
and frustrated...
the why’s and 'if only's' kept intruding but
nothing resolved my questions-
no answers were good enough-
and in the desert
of my loss -
for months to come -
I could only weep and mourn for my baby
as I thought of
what could have been-.
the life we could have had together...
a life I can only dream about
and imagine...but then... sometime...
someway... somehow... I began to
have a faint and desperate hope
that I would someday
be reunited with my little girl...
it would be in heaven -
a redemption of this whole mess -
we would finally be united...
we would recognize each other -
see each other face to face... I 
would look into her Mother's eyes 
and I would hug my little girl...
kiss her...
pick her up and
she would screech in delight at
having her daddy
swing her ‘round and ‘round
toss her up in the air
and catch her
laughing / crying in joy...
knowing we would be together -
forever...
please Lord...
make it happen
someday
somehow
someway    

Reflection/Discussion:
-Describe the father's experience.
-How would you answer his protestations to God?
-How common is it for the father to regret an abortion?Why/not?
-What would happen if more men took responsibility for the pregnancy? 
-Why isn't adoption a more frequent option to abortion?
-Why don't we hear very much about fathers who do?
-How can that change?                                                               
-What is the hope for fathers whose child was aborted?
                                                                         











No comments:

Post a Comment