My hope for you

Poetry speaks to our minds and hearts and is meant to communicate more than the sum of its words. It is an apt expression of our walk with the Lord. I encourage you to forward this link to those you love. I pray this poetry leads you into reflection and prayer but I also want to start a conversation. You, too, have something to share with others-not only in person, but also here. Your experience is yours to give away to build up and learn from others in the Body of Christ. Share the word that you hear, the experiences you have lived. We are all part of the New Evangelization.If you also want to contact me by email, feel free: genefirn@yahoo.com

Table of contents: October 7, 2012

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Judgement

it’s over
only the Final Review remains
time has come to a stop
there is only the present
my "future" is to be judged by my past
death was but an instant
passing with a final breath
as quickly as light travels
now I must come before the Judge
the One who paid the Price for my
Salvation's possibility
He endured the
rigors of torment 
conquering death
offering New Life to
all who listened and
chose to walk in His Ways
clearly written on our hearts by
nature's revelation and
reinforced by
His Teachings of Life
my own response-
now viewed only too clearly
began in childhood's fantasy
fervent imaginations
spurred by holy pictures
with nightly prayers
laying me down to sleep
teenage rebellion
loosened my footings
setting me upon new paths
exploring delights
without pangs of deterrence
career and marriage
brought a new seriousness
into perspective
children helped of course
somehow though
life got so busy
schedules
bills
marriage problems
job stress
kids in college
my wife was always
the spiritual one
I would go to Church
but she took the lead
because she knew
I was never really
comfortable with it all
nor felt connected but
I didn't fight it either
I guess you might have
called me lukewarm
but in my defense
I never really
heard what some people
have said was the
Good News
but I knew in the
back of my mind
that my Final Exam
would be on
what I have done
both good and evil and
what I failed to do
I guess
that is only fair and just-
upon what else could I be judged?
I lived my life the way I saw fit
no one forced me to act or not act
and when I regressed
it was up to me to
change or not
who twisted my arm?
no one
who forced me to turn back or not?
no one
if I continued acting in the same way
who compelled  me?
no one
the choice was always mine
it was always that way
for me and for all
whoever I am
I chose freely to be
now
it's over
now
it's too late to change
who I am
looking back
I did became  more resolute
chose to try harder
but
sometimes
I went
back and forth
suddenly
I died

Reflection/Discussion: 
-Describe the man portrayed in "Judgement".
-Do you think his life is a common experience? Why/not?
-How could it have been different?
-What does "lukewarm" mean in this context?
-What would you say to help him?
-How can we make sure that everyone hears the Good News?
-Why don't we talk about the last judgement?
-Why isn't the last judgement talked about in Church?
-How can the last judgement impact your daily life?
-What is the Lord saying to you through this poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment