My hope for you

Poetry speaks to our minds and hearts and is meant to communicate more than the sum of its words. It is an apt expression of our walk with the Lord. I encourage you to forward this link to those you love. I pray this poetry leads you into reflection and prayer but I also want to start a conversation. You, too, have something to share with others-not only in person, but also here. Your experience is yours to give away to build up and learn from others in the Body of Christ. Share the word that you hear, the experiences you have lived. We are all part of the New Evangelization.If you also want to contact me by email, feel free: genefirn@yahoo.com

Table of contents: October 7, 2012

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

The Gazes

I remember every encounter...each 
one a stepping stone leading to his 
final resting place in my heart...each
memory highlighted by unfamiliar 
feelings like when.. I couldn't believe
my eyes...in the midst of all he was
suffering...all that pain...every
miniscule movement a torture...
every breath brought no relief but 
simply a prophetic sign of more to 
come...even his eyesight was obscured
half-blinded by blood's steady stream 
from its thorny creche - a mocking 
symbol of his true identity and still...
with all that...he found me imbedded 
in the jeering sometimes simply curious 
crowd fascinated by the death spectacle 
of the King of the Jews..it was as if he 
had searched me out like I was a long
lost sheep hiding amongst a pack of 
howling wolves...it brought to mind the 
first time our eyes met months before...i
t was in another crowd but this time a 
friendly one...everyone was hungry not 
only for food to fill our stomachs  but for
his words which mysteriously fed our
empty hearts way out in the empty 
countryside...he was teaching things 
we never heard before when suddenly 
he stropped to break for food though 
there were merely scraps which somehow 
he miraculously multiplied and had
baskets and baskets left over...amazed 
yet confused I got up to leave but his 
gaze moved me to stay to find some 
kind of answer to even one of the 
questions swirling in my mesmerized 
mind....who is this man? how can he 
do that? his words are touching places 
in my heart that I didn't know existed...
everyone had an opinion -some said this..
others that...I only knew I had to keep 
searching for something more that I didn't 
have right now.....then there was another
crowd this time near Passover...but this
one was cheering him as he rode a colt 
into Jerusalem...waving palms thinking 
he was the Messiah even though he didn't 
claim to be a warrior king...again the gaze..
very strange...like he had expected that 
I would be there - a familiar face even 
though as yet we had never spoken to one 
another...now...this...horrific spectacle...
not what I ever expected for such a gentle 
miraculous person...totally innocent of 
their bogus charges and now planted 
between murderers and yet... even in all
his pain he found me...again that haunting 
gaze .but this time as I took steps toward 
him he cried out as he Finished his
Sacrificial Offering amidst his Mother's
mournful goodbye as thunder rolled and 
lightning cracked and darkness covered 
the mount and apparently the Temple's 
Curtain was Completely Torn as death
hushed the staring crowd left wondering 
if there could possibly be any more drama 
to what they just witnessed.....now...days 
later... on the road to Emmaus...unrecognized..
he turned up as a fascinating stranger totally
transforming Sacred Texts into pearls of \
Revelation about the Resurrected Christ 
till at fireside he gazed at me again and 
with a smile offered me the broken bread
with his nail-scared hand and in a Final 
Encounter bade me to join him in that 
Sacred Feast...now - even though he 
vanished -I know He is Alive ..He un-
veiled the eyes of my heart...then I knew
who He was and who I am in Him...He 
is my Lord and Savior and I am His forever...
reborn by his Spirit...on mission to witness 
for His Kingdom to a world broken by sin.... 
hungry for healing and the Bread of Life...
so...what about you? are you hungry for More?...
Ask...Seek...Knock...and it shall be yours...

Reflection / Discussion:

-Ask Jesus to show you times in the past when
  He has sought you out. What was happening then?
  What was your response?
-Do you want More in your life?
-By reading this poem, is He seeking you now? Why / not?
-Have you asked Him to be your personal Lord / Savior?
-If not...what is holding you back?
- Are you asking...seeking...knocking...for More?
-What does it mean to "be His Forever"?
-What does it mean to be "reborn by His Spirit'?
-Do you have a "mission in life"?
-Are you 'hungry for healing'?
-What is the "Bread of Life"?
-He is smiling at you now, how's that make you feel? 






.that same gaze
only this time it was followed
with a smile...and it was then
I know I was reborn...never
more to forget that gaze even
when it would be my turn 
on that cross because of him...

No comments:

Post a Comment