My hope for you

Poetry speaks to our minds and hearts and is meant to communicate more than the sum of its words. It is an apt expression of our walk with the Lord. I encourage you to forward this link to those you love. I pray this poetry leads you into reflection and prayer but I also want to start a conversation. You, too, have something to share with others-not only in person, but also here. Your experience is yours to give away to build up and learn from others in the Body of Christ. Share the word that you hear, the experiences you have lived. We are all part of the New Evangelization.If you also want to contact me by email, feel free: genefirn@yahoo.com

Table of contents: October 7, 2012

Friday, July 19, 2013

The Desert

barren
without direction
a journey with
limited results
unsuccessful attempts
rooted in desires
searching for fruition
while petitions ending in
endless frustration
leaves me to question
my motives even
my decisions of surrender
each peeling away
layers of self
mired in the world
reactions not founded in Love
weaknesses open to
deadly spiritual sins
motivate me to seek
Grace's intervention
cleansing bit by bit
slowly discovering a
glimmer of Light
leading upward
squinting for clarity
sensing yet again to
let go of the lesser
though lofty goal to
serve the mission of the One
though often chained to
self's centrality
for the more pure
union of a Lover
release me
from myself to
embrace surrender in
everything to You
jealous for my heart to
burn with
singular Passion
despite being
beyond my power to
complete which begs for
You to make it so since
I cannot
this invitation is
painfully grasped
without assurances of
perseverance in
surrendering my control
leaning not on my own
understanding while
acknowledging His Lordship
provides an inkling of Trust in the
night's caressing breeze and
captures a Promise to
work all things for good
though now unseen and
unfelt while living in
suspended space

Reflection/Discussion:
-What is the Desert?
-Where is the hope in this poem?
-How does a desert experience fit into faith?
-Is it "normal" in our faith development? Why/not?
-How have you experienced something akin to the desert? Expain.
-How do you deal with the desert experience? 
-How does the desert purify you?
-Is this something to desire? Why/not?

1 comment:

  1. Gene:

    Thanks so much for this. You have expressed my heart and my prayer.

    Blessings,

    Don

    ReplyDelete